The Irish Independent reports that grocery giant TESCO has strapped electronic armbands to their warehouse workers to measure their productivity, tracking their actions so closely that management knows when they briefly pause to drink from a water fountain or take a bathroom break. These unforgivable lapses in productivity impact workers performance score, which management then apparently uses to terrify them into working faster.
- Work is Becoming More Like Prison As Some Workers Forced to Wear Electronic Bands That Track Everything They Do (Including Bathroom Breaks) (alternet.org)
- Tesco’s Employee-Tracking Digital Armbands (businessweek.com)
- Tesco accused of using electronic armbands to monitor its staff (independent.co.uk)
- “STAFF at a Tesco warehouse have to wear digital arm-band devices that constantly monitor their…” (new-aesthetic.tumblr.com)
- Tesco staff forced to wear arm monitors that track work rate – Independent.ie (independent.ie)